Data Protection statement - what we do with your data
All data is held securely by the University of Birmingham and will be treated confidentially. Unless you tell us otherwise, the data may be made available to our academic and administrative departments, recognised alumni groups and societies (including overseas), the University of Birmingham American Foundation and individual alumni organising reunions.
Data will not be disclosed to external organisations, other than those acting as agents for the University on alumni related projects or for other legitimate reasons. The University may also provide information to certain external surveying companies working on behalf of such organisations as the Higher Education Statistics Agency (HESA) or University funding bodies.
The data will be used for a full range of alumni activities, including sending University publications, promotion of benefits and services available to alumni, notification of alumni events and of programmes involving academic and administrative departments and the sending of SMS text messages.
Emails will be tracked and stored to ensure that we are better able to tailor our communications. Data will also be used in the University fundraising programmes. You have the right to object to the use of your data for any of the above purposes by contacting the Alumni Office, University of Birmingham, Edgbaston, Birmingham B15 2TT or firstname.lastname@example.org
The following is written on our website to help explain in more practical terms what it might mean: In practice this means you may be contacted via post, email or telephone with any of the following:
- Alumni publications - The annual Birmingham Magazine, annual Alumni Newsletter, The Difference (an annual newsletter for donors) and a monthly email newsletter called Birmingham Bite-size
- Targeted event invitations or information regarding alumni groups
- Information about relevant University courses and Continuing Professional Development (CPD) opportunities
- Requests to complete relevant surveys
- Relevant communications from your former College, School, Department or from your colleagues on your course
- Fundraising communications
- Information on relevant alumni services or benefits
- Other general communications giving relevant University news
- Any other use deemed to sit within our data protection statement